Thursday, September 27, 2012

CSA Season & Fried Egg Ratatouille

First things first- I finally made my move to Portland, Oregon! I'm spending my time wandering neighborhoods, meeting interesting people, and trying delicious food and beer.

I'm staying with my cousins who have graciously let me pick up their CSA share for them this week while they are out of town. What a great way to get motivated to cook- so many veggies to use up!

A small portion of the bounty


And an array of veggies leads to an array of simple dishes made up of them. Like this fried egg ratatouille.



I had no idea that summer in Portland continues so far into what I have always known in the Northeast as Fall. I am just barely considering butternut squash soup or other late september comfort foods. I'd rather just keep eating all these fresh tomatoes.


Fried Egg Ratatouille:

1 squash, sliced into uniform pieces, (salted and squeezed with a paper towel to reduce toughness)
1 to 2 tomatoes diced, excess liquid and seeds removed
1 small eggplant, sliced into uniform pieces
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
fresh parsley, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 fresh egg
olive oil


Easy as...ratatouille.

Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
Add onions, cook until translucent
Add garlic, cook until fragrant
Add eggplant & squash, cook for a few minutes until soft
Add tomato & parsley, allow to simmer
Season to taste
Fry egg to your liking

Eat for breakfast or lunch, or for a snack in the middle of the night. Whatever floats your boat.




No comments:

Post a Comment