Sunday, May 29, 2011

Basil Infused Vodka

Basil = Summer time. It's totally true.It's not quite summer time yet, but close. I bought a bunch of fresh basil the super market, as it's still a bit too early to hit up the farmers market for some. Or my neighbor Jamie, who I am sure will have some I can steal this summer like last. (won't you lend me some extra?) Right now my bunch of basil leaves are sitting in a window sill in a jar of water. They are much happier that way than they would be in my fridge. I had a little project in mind.


A vodka project. Yes. Which is what led me to go down to the liquor store at 9:30am yesterday (kind of amazing there is a liquor store in my neighborhood that opens that early, don't you think?) I needed some vodka, and a little rum for a rum-caramel banana bread pudding (what  mouthful- delicious though! Post coming soon).

I wanted to make some basil-infused vodka. It requires some patience, it needs several weeks to pick up that basil-y summer-y flavor. I can be patient.

I probably should have picked up a nice bottle of expensive, high quality vodka. But, I'm not that kind of girl. You could give me a glass of rubbing alcohol and tell me it was the good stuff and I am quite sure I would believe you. And I would probably drink it and pretend to enjoy it. Because I want people to think I have good taste. Now you know the truth about me. Please no one take advantage of this and attempt to feed me rubbing alcohol, OK? Thanks.

Easy as anything:

Fresh basil, a mason jar, cheap vodka

combine.

Then just seal it up, and put it somewhere dark.

That's pretty dark.

Now just wait a couple weeks (I have read different sources that say anything from 3 days to 5 weeks, so I am going to check on it after a week and make the call one way or the other), giving it a shake periodically. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Any suggestions for basil infused cocktails when the time comes?

UPDATE: project "basil, meet vodka" was a success. I strained out the basil leaves the other night, and concocted a summery drink that was pretty darn yummy (if I do say so myself). Post coming as soon as I get my new laptop charger in the mail...technology problems abound so far this month.

2 comments:

  1. OMG that is brilliant! I'm not much of a vodka girl myself, more a Bacardi Rum drinker but I think that would work too.
    Saying hi from Remodelaholic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant. Stealing this. What about a basil gimlet?

    ReplyDelete