Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Life Lately


The last couple weeks have been snowy and icy in Portland. It causes everything to stop. Businesses don't open, people abandon their cars until the ice melts, everything is quiet. At first it feels like a gift. How rarely we ever just...stop! But now, after two weeks of second guessing whether the bus will be running, of coming up with tasks to do around the house, or reasons to work remotely instead of trek to the office, I have to say I am feeling more than a little stir crazy.

Don't get me wrong, the snow is pretty. And at first, it created such an infectious feeling that anything is possible. A place that rarely sees snow can have a beautiful white Christmas. Portlanders that have rarely experienced snow in their own backyards can now make snowmen, snow animals, snow people. And my backyard looks like this:


And no one owns a shovel. And the city doesn't plow. And everything just stops, and waits. And then comes the ice, or the next storm.

At least all this stopping has allowed me a lot of time to get things done around the house.

In the last two weeks I have:

-Cleaned and sealed the kitchen floor my dad and I laid last spring (post about that process coming soon)

-Painted the cutest paint by numbers of my home given to me by my partner's parents:

-Installed our cute new mail slot (Okay, actually Evan did this, and I just...was supportive of the effort. )


-Read a book by the fireplace whenever possible.



-Hanging out with these cute animals (and for everyone who might ask, no the pup isn't mine. She belongs to a friend who is staying with us at the moment, and she is just the sweetest weird little creature. A dog that get's along with a rabbit!


Ok, here is another cute one:




-Finally broke in my new home office (ie the corner of my bedroom, where I brought my desk in the meantime while the above mentioned friend is staying in our guest room/office). It's far from the perfect (need to deal with those cords for one thing!), but it is certainly a relief to have a full size monitor at home now to actually get real work done. 


-Admired the snowy views. You almost never see this stuff in Portland!




So that's my life lately. Cooped up. Going a tiny bit crazy. Cleaning the kitchen a lot. Taking pictures of snow.

I hope all my fellow Portlanders are staying sane, and that my east coast friends don't tease me so much for complaining about a lousy foot of snow :-P

Maybe the weather will get better...some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment