Thursday, June 9, 2011

Portobello & Red Pepper Burgers



This recipe is one of my favorite things to make come summer time. Marinating the portobellos even briefly in a balsamic vinaigrette leaves them with so much flavor, and a rich tender texture. Red peppers, grilled until soft, with a skin nearly blackened have such a sweet unmistakable flavor. Further toppings of a some caramelized onions, fresh basil and barbeque sauce, all on crusty grilled ciabatta rolls made this a home run of sweet and savory flavors. I melted a bit of sharp cheddar on my own, which was a great addition, but even without the flavors were complex and satisfying.




I have made this in the past either on a charcoal grill, or in a grill pan, both with great results. due to my current lack of outdoor grill I went with the grill pan method this particular time. I have made them with the addition of grilled eggplant, or arugula instead of the basil, or with fresh juicy tomatoes... Hard to think of combinations that wouldn't be delicious!

And the best part of this, to me, is that unlike some vegetarian alternatives to burgers, I personally don't miss the meat at all- this is as flavorful and rich, as well as filling. I'd take this over a burger most nights!

As with most sandwiches, a recipe hardly seems necessary. Just marinate a few mushrooms (I use my go to homemade balsamic dressing, made with oil, balsamic vinegar, whatever herbs I have on hand, a spoonful of mustard, and a sprinkle of sugar) and roast or grill until tender. I also grilled the red peppers and the bread. The sweet potato fries were a quick side to make as well, I peeled and cut my sweet potatoes into matchsticks, spread them out on a baking sheet with a bit of oil, salt, pepper and fresh rosemary, then stuck them in the oven until they were browned and soft.

1 comment:

  1. So....I had a long day....why didn't you make some of this good stuff for ME?

    ReplyDelete